We all like to spend time with family and friends. Sometimes we may become estranged from them but our longing is for things to be right so that we can continue to have that special time of fellowship. Did you know that God wants to have fellowship with us? It is such a strong desire that Jesus our messiah came to earth and took on human form so that He could help us by making things right with God. He lived a perfect life and died a horrible death so that our sins would be paid for. That is what makes it possible for us to live in right relationship with God. God does not want us to be estranged from Him. He wants right relationship to be established between Him and us. He wants to spend eternity with us.
Sometimes it is hard for us to imagine that our creator wants to spend time with us; but He does. Inside each of us there is what I call a God shaped hole. We are constantly searching for something to fill it. It was designed for God to fill it. He is the only one who can fill it and satisfy us completely. He created us that way.
To allow God to fill that hole in our hearts, follow these steps.
- Do a daily heart check to see if there is anything in our hearts that does not please God and immediately make that right. It could be our attitude, our actions, our relationships or anything else that separates us from right relationship with God.
- Spend time every day reading the Bible, talking to God about it and listening to what the Holy Spirit wants to teach us.
- Make sure you treat God with the honor and respect that you want to be treated with.
- Treat everyone around you with that same honor and respect as if you are actually interacting with God. You might not like some one that you have to encounter but remember to behave in the same way as you would toward God. Who knows but that you might point them to Christ that way. That does not mean you should be buddy buddy with your enemy. Treating them with respect and honor is the best way to maintain your own integrity before the Lord.
- When God is asking you to do something, be obedient. Resisting God is a dangerous thing to do. It causes you to pull away from Him and creates a rift between you and God. That is a miserable place in which to live.
- Test the spirits to see if they are from God. You want to learn what is from God and what is not. Remember, God treats you with respect. He never forces or demands. He invites. He created us with free will. We have a right to choose. It grieves God when we make bad choices because He knows what consequences we will suffer as a result. That is not His plan for us. His prefect will for us is a plan that will fulfill us beyond what anything else can. The consequences of choosing His plan are awesome!
If we make a tithe of our productive time of day (the time we are awake), we will discover that we have enough time to do all the things we need to do each day. Give God at least half an hour twice a day and watch to see what happens in your life. You will be blessed, have more energy to get things done, accomplish more than usual. Talk with God throughout the day and always tune yourself to hear from Him. If life’s challenges make it difficult to find the time to do this, ask God to create space and time so that you can. Your relationship with God is more important than anything else. We all have the demands of life on us; some more than others. God will create time for you to spend with Him. When He does, don’t ignore it.
I believe that God’s intention was for us to have a life that is fuller and more blessed if we spend quality time with Him. God told Israel to give Him the seventh day of each week; the whole day. When Israel obeyed in that, they were blessed beyond measure. God spent time with Adam and Eve in the cool of the day. That would be at dawn and dusk…morning and evening. My suggestion is to spend time with God both morning and evening. If Sunday is your church day, set the whole day aside for a day of rest and time with God. Test this to see what happens in your life. Jesus is a friend who is better than any other friend. Spend time with Him.
Walk with God every day. It can only make your life better.
May God bless you in your walk with Him!